Opensource Hypervisor that is free and widely avaible for several different types of OSs.
- Hypervisor: also known as a Virtual Machine Monitor is a piece of software that enables a user to simultaneously run one or more OSs which are known as Virtual Machines.
- Type 1: Bare Metal or Native Hypervisor. Runs directly on hardware.
- Type 2: Hosted Hypervisor. Installed on a host OS like Windows. Virtual Box is Type 2 sofware.
- Virtual Machine: called a guest system.
- Guest Additions: Add on software packages added to virtual box.
- Shared folder
- A Dynamically allocated disk will only use what it needs and grows later depending on needed data usage.
- A fixed size will litterally eat up space whether or not the guest needs it or not.
- Save the machine state: freezes exactly where it is.
- Send the shutdown signal: It’s like hitting the power button
- Power off the machine: turns off the machine without saving anything. PLEASE AVOID!
- Let’s you group machines together if you are using them together.
- A snapshot not only preserves the complete state of all the virtual disks that are attached to the guest machine but also stores a complete copy of the VM settings, including the hardware configuration in an XML text file. Thus, when you restore a snapshot, the VM settings are restored as well as all the configuration files are stored in the XML format, so it takes very little space to store all the information.
- his feature helps to create the golden image or base image as well.
- Reinitialize the MAC address of all network cards, every network card attached to the clone VM (Destination VM) gets a new MAC address assigned.
- If you don’t select it, the clone will have the same MAC address as the source VM. This will produce a MAC address collision in the network layer if you decide to use the source VM and cloned VM in the same network
- VirtualBox can virtualize 6 types of networking hardware.
- AMD PCNet FAST III is the default hardware because it is supported by most of the current operating systems out of the box.
- The Intel PRO/1000 MT desktop driver works with operating systems such as Microsoft Vista and later versions.
- Network Address Translation (NAT): Best for browsing within the VM
Network Address Translation (NAT)
- Works out of the box!
- Virtual Media Manager is used to either view or change these known media. VMM can be accessed from the File menu in the VirtualBox main window.